The content on this page is specifically geared towards the Large & XL SitGo Dog Wheelchair.
SitGo Size Chart
Below is the sizing chart for SitGo wheelchairs.
What's Included with your SitGo Wheelchair
Let us begin with the assembly by checking out all the pre-assembled parts and tools.
Above: SitGo L-XL dog wheelchair parts.
Above: Cart Frame Assembly (A)
Above: Large Rear Harness Assembly (B)
Above: Left and Right Front Harness Rod (x2) (C)
Above: Left and Right Wheels Assembly (x2) (D)
Above: Size Adjusting Pin (x4) (E)
Above: Front Harness (F)
Above: Basic Rear Harness – gives better support for your dog’s body while harnessed to the wheelchair. (G)
Above: Sports Rear Harness – gives better mobility for your pet while harnessed to the wheelchair. (H)
Above: Rear Leg Straps (I)
Assembling the Wheelchair
Above: Fully assembled Sitgo rear support dog wheelchair
Connecting the lower rear crossbar (B) to the left and right side arm assembly (A):
- Insert rear harness bars (B) into the holes on the left and right side arms which are near the pivot assembly of the cart frame assembly (A).
- Line up top of round wheelbar assembly to scored line like so to ensure that thumbscrew lines up into corresponding divot.
- If the rear harness bars (B) do not align with the holes on the left and right side arms (A), adjust the width of the rear harness bars (see section 5 on adjusting the width).
- Insert a size adjusting pin (E) thru the holes on the right side arm (A). Make sure the curved side and not the cornered side is facing up.
- Push the size adjusting pin (E) thru the holes until it comes out the opposite end.
To install the left and right front harness rods:
- Insert the right front harness rod (C) into the hole of the large right side arm (A).
- Make sure the front harness ring is facing downward when the right front harness rod is installed.
- Adjust to desired length. Make sure the hole on the right front harness rod (C) is aligned with a hole on the large right side arm (A).
- Insert a size adjusting pin (E) in the aligned hole until it comes out the other end.
- Repeat steps 1 to 4 o left front harness rod (C) into the hole of the large left side arm (A). Make sure the left and right front harness rods (C) are of equal distance when
adjusting their length.
To attach left and right wheels:
- Remove rubber end caps from left and right wheel assemblies (D).
- Loosen wheel bar thumbscrew on pivot assembly (A).
- Insert right wheel assembly (D). Make sure the side with divots is facing the same side as the thumbscrew.
- Make sure the wheel arm and rubber stop on the right wheel
assembly (D) are facing the same direction as the large rear harness assembly (B).
- Adjust to desired height. Line up top of round wheelbar assembly to scored line like so to ensure that thumbscrew lines up into corresponding divot. Tighten with pliers.
- Return rubber end cap.
- Repeat steps 1 to 6 to install the left wheel assembly (D) to the pivot assembly (A).
- Tighten or loosen the wheel bolts with the big wrench (J-1) if necessary to ensure free-wheeling movement of the wheels.
To adjust the width:
- Loosen the socket set screws on the pivot shaft connector with the small hex wrench (J-2)
- Also loosen the socket set screws on the pivot assembly with the small hex wrench (J-2).
- Adjust the distance of the rear harness bars and pivot shaft connector according to desired width. Align on both sides.
- Also adjust the distance of the side arms and pivot assembly according to desired width. Align on both sides.
- Tighten all the socket set screws on both the pivot shaft connector and pivot assembly with the small hex wrench (J-2).
To adjust Rubber Stopper and setting L-Bracket angle:
NOTE: This comes pre-assembled correctly from the factory - this section included for your reference only in the unlikely event that the wheel assembly goes out of line and needs to be re-calibrated.
- Slightly loosen the nut between the L-bracket and the Rubber Stopper bar. The L-bracket should be loose enough to be moved but not loose enough slide on its own.
- Place plastic wheel acuator alignment tool as shown in diagram to recalibrate properly.
- Re-tighten the nut carefully, make sure not to move the position of the L-bracket. You can use the rubber stopper bar to keep the L-bracket from moving while you tighten the nut.
- Make sure that the rubber stopper bar can move freely without excessive play.
NOTE: If the Angle Bracket keeps moving away from its intended position when you tighten the nut, adjust the Angle Bracket a bit off your intended position so that when you tighten the nut the Angle Bar will move slightly to the intended position.
To switch the SitGo function to different settings:
- The SitGo’s collapsible setting is locked when shipped from the factory. Once you have adjusted it to your pet’s size and once your pet has acclimated to using a wheelchair, you can adjust or completely remove the bolt shown above to activate the SitGo’s collapsible feature. Please note that the spring tension will need to be adjusted for the weight of your pet (see number 7 of this section).
- To release the SitGo function from its non-collapsible setting to the collapsible setting, loosen the number 3 screw indicated in the picture above until you are able to collapse the wheelchair all the way down.
- To return the SitGo function from the collapsible to the non-collapsible setting, while the wheelchair is fully upright fully tighten the number 3 screw indicated in the picture above then fully tighten the jam nut. A longer 10-24 bolt may be used if needed. They may be placed on either side of the bracket.
- To allow the wheelchair to collapse but stop it from going back to its full upright position, tighten the number 2 screw indicated in the picture above. This setting can be used in xconjunction with setting the wheelchair height if your pet is still too high for the wheelchair.
To adjust for the weight of your pet:
- Hold on to the Spring Adjuster to keep it from moving.
- Use the pictured wrench as needed to increase leverage on the spring adjuster so that it will be easier to tighten the spring to desired tension for your dog.
- Loosen the set screw on the Spring Adjuster.
- Rotate the Spring Adjuster going backward and downward. The two arms work in the same way. Their weight bearing capacity is additive. Meaning that each spring carries half the weight of the back side of the dog.
- Adjust the tension on the Spring Adjuster until there is sufficient tension to support your pet when standing and also when moving from sitting or lying down position to
standing position. The tension should also not be too much so that your pet will need little effort to move from standing position to lying down or sitting position. This will take some effort to achieve because it will need a bit of trial and error until you find the perfect tension balance for your pet.
You are done with assembly!
Video Instructions (optional)
Fitting Your Dog to the Wheelchair
To put the front harness on your pet:
- Unclip the front leg strap (red strap).
- Guide your pet’s head thru the two black straps until middle black strap reaches your pet’s upper chest below the neck and the upper black strap is across your pets back shoulder area. Make sure the front leg strap (red strap) is at the bottom.
- Place the front leg strap behind the front leg, across the bottom chest, behind the other front leg until it reaches the side release buckle on the other side.
- Lock the clip.
- Adjust the straps for comfort and firmness. Lift rounded end of adjuster buckle to loosen. Pull on strap ends to tighten.
To put the sports harness on your pet (recommended as most dogs have more support with the sports harness):
- You must install the sports rear harness to the main assembly before placing your pet in to the harness.
- Place the sports rear harness so that each plastic clamp is level with and near a side arm bolt.
- Put your finger in plastic ring. Position strap to go above and around the side arm assembly.
- Fasten the plastic clamp to the side arm bolt.
- Lock plastic clamp by pushing plastic clamp upward.
- Repeat steps 3. to 5. to attach remaining 3 plastic clamps.
- Adjust the straps attached to the plastic clamps of the rear harness to a comfortable weight-bearing position for your pet.
- Bring up the wheelchair from behind your pet and let your pet to pass thru.
- Move the wheelchair forward until your pet fits in the middle of the wheelchair.
- Move the arm assembly backwards. The wheelchair will move downwards simulating the SitGo motion.
- Lift each hind leg of your pet and insert in the corresponding hole of the attached rear sports harness.
- Strap on the back straps on the back of your pet. Strap the lower left strap to the upper right and the lower right to the upper left strap so that both straps cross your pets lower back.
To fasten front harness:
- Fasten the left side release buckle of the front harness (F) to the its partner located on the left front harness rod (C).
- Repeat on other side to fasten right side release buckle of the front harness (H) to its partner located on the right front harness rod (C).
To harness rear legs to the rear leg straps (I). Use the rear leg straps to protect your
pet’s hocks and keep them from dragging:
- Attach rear leg straps on the rear harness support on the (B) large rear harness assembly
- Loosen the straps by pressing on the cord locks. Insert each paw to corresponding rear leg strap. Adjust to a comfortable tightness.
- Make sure that legs can rest at a relaxed angle.